The hustle and bustle of the season may make it harder for you to fit exercise into your schedule. But even if you don’t have time for your regular routine, squeezing in a few minutes is definitely better than blowing it off completely.
ACE Certified Personal Trainer and Group Fitness Instructor, Rita Beckford, M.D., helped me come up with some creative ideas for all of us. Here is a list of 5 to get you going:
- Walk in the mall before you shop for holiday gifts – this is Dr. Beckford’s absolute favorite. She recommends going before the mall opens so you don’t get distracted. Try to fit in 30 minutes before you start shopping.
- Include dancing at your holiday dinner parties. “Try cultural favorites or good old-fashioned line dancing,” suggests Beckford. “After dinner but before dessert, your guests will love you for it.”
- Exercise videos – take a break from the gift wrapping and get a little cardio in your day. You don’t have to leave the house, and it will feel good to move around after sitting still for so long.
- Do jumping jacks while the cookies bake instead of just sitting around waiting for them.
- Bundle up and walk around to enjoy the holiday lights with friends instead of taking the car.
Remember – a little exercise here and there adds up, so the pounds don’t have a chance to!
My favorite idea is to walk around the mall for 30 minutes before shopping – you?